The intent of our Art Curriculum:
To ensure children access high quality art experiences through a broad, balanced and progressive curriculum.
Our Art curriculum provides children with a high-quality art and design education that engages, inspires, and challenge pupils. It enables them to develop their knowledge and skills through experimentation, invention and creating their own works of art, craft and design. We aim to foster a lifelong love of Art.
A Charford Artist will:
- Create their own works of art and know about great artists.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, printing, textiles, collage and sculpture.
- Explore ideas, experiment, invent, think critically and record experiences.
At Charford, our Art curriculum is designed to meet the needs of all of our pupils, ensuring the curriculum objectives are met. We do this through:
- Following a whole school curriculum – This covers a range of styles, artists and genre which shows progression through the years,
- Half termly units – Art is taught during 3 half terms throughout the year in each year group and complements the theme.
- Good quality lessons - Teachers have access to a scheme of work that covers: Drawing, Painting, Collage, Printmaking, Textiles and 3D (Sculpture).
- A broad subject matter - children will be taught about the work of a range of artists, craft makers, designers and architects, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
- Cross Curricular Links – It is important that children have the opportunity to explore a full and balance curriculum and that links can be made across different subject areas.
- Showing progression - All children have Art Skills Books which are used throughout the planned activities to record their observations and modify and adapt techniques. They show that are is a process and allows children to think critically and evaluate. These books follow the children up from Reception to Year 4.
- An Arts Council – Children from each year group form part of the Arts Council. Their pupil voice is important as they have a say in the design in their curriculum.
- Celebrating Art - At Charford, we celebrate and value the work that goes in to producing great art. Classroom and gallery displays reflect the children’s sense of pride in their artwork.
Programme of Study and Long Term Plan
Art Hub – has lots of videos for a range of different things to draw, make and paint. Each video goes through step by step- https://www.artforkidshub.com/
Tate Gallery for Kids – has a range of different projects and makes related to the works they have in the gallery - https://www.tate.org.uk/kids
National Geographic Kids – has a range of different art projects related to different areas of the world and animals - https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/teacher-category/art/
Access Art - https://www.accessart.org.uk/